13th September 2020
First off, this is a bit of a cheat! I wandered the garden yesterday before breakfast. So really it’s Three on Monday to add to yesterday’s Cheering Up My Monday. No need to read that back again, coz it’s a bit garbled. The boiled egg was boiling as I grabbed the camera for a five-minute stroll through the garden. It was indeed looking very summery.
- The Skimmia is doing well in the container. In fact there are two. Bought back in 2018 together with the Acer Red Flamingo, they are doing much better since I moved them to a more shaded spot. Correction: they get plenty sun, but critically the pot is shaded in front of a small wall. The original article about these is one of my favourites, and also includes my delight when Trump lost a lot of momentum in the mid-term elections. Here’s the link.
- This grass is past its best. It has set seed and I am wondering will it come again if I cut it back hard? Must check that out. However, I very much like the heads and may decide to leave it in its natural state.
- The bindweed is dead. I repeat, the bindweed is DEAD. It took me six weeks to beat the life out of it. Now, the bare space needs to be filled. That’s something for the jobs-to-be-done section below.
Three things that need doing:
- Sow more lettuce & spinach
- Water and feed the strawberries
- Fill the bare soil where the bindweed lived.
There are many many more lovely items in the garden at the moment. After all, it is the last day of June and things are looking good. There’s been enough sunshine and enough rain. There are also many more little jobs to be done but right now my egg should be ready!
Finally, I include for the first time a selection of three’s not related to gardening. This a trial to see if I am interested in continuing it. My thinking is that I may like to read back over this next year or in several years time. Or I may do it irregularly from time to time.
- 18th birthday gathering for my niece. Cake also
- Got a dog-walker for the old Yorkie
- Visit to two garden centres with Marion. Such an exciting life we live
- Group Coffee spin to Kilmacthomas with Danny, Tony & Majella
- Wednesday 20km time-trial
- Sunday 85km, group of nine, very blustery, plenty hills
- New government. Taoiseach Mícheál Martin
- Restaurants open again!
- 16 Covid deaths last week
- Crystal Palace beat Bournemouth but lost against Liverpool & Burnley
- Liverpool won Premier League
- Plans for December All-Ireland finals
Curiosities, courtesy of Irish Times:
- 23 sitting TDs have hired members of their families
- 6200 attended Trump rally, whereas they expected 100,000
- Average price of a Dublin home is €438,000
Thanks for reading & I hope you have a great week.
Tuesday, 30th June 2020.